Governance Announcement – On October 20, 2021, the Cosumnes Subbasin Working Group approved sharing two governance documents with their respective GSA Boards to consider formally approving:
- Joint Powers Authority (JPA) agreement to form the Cosumnes Groundwater Authority for GSP implementation
- Initial Funding and Revenue Agreement
Visit GSA websites for schedule of GSA Board meetings – https://bit.ly/CosumnesContactsGlossary-2021 (links to websites are on the 2nd page)
The Draft Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) is available to view/download. The public review and comment period occurred August 18 – October 20, 2021.
Quicklinks to Quick Reads for the Draft GSP
- [NEW!] The Rapid Read (5-min read) [View/Download]
- [NEW!] The Brochure Read (30-min read) [Web-Reader | Print-Friendly]
- The Technical Read (technical executive summary) [View/Download]
The Full Read
Click HERE or the green button to view and download the full technical documents for the Cosumnes Public Draft GSP. Files are large, so download each file separately.
Upcoming SGMA Meetings
Refer to the Meetings page for upcoming and previous meetings and public workshops
Questions about an upcoming event?
Contact Stephen Julian at CosumnesGSP@gmail.com or 254.640.0155
Si necesita solicitar alojamiento para asistir a un próximo evento, incluidos los servicios de traducción, comuníquese con Stephen Julian a CosumnesGSP@gmail.com o al 254.640.0155
New to SGMA? Check out these helpful resources:
- Understanding Groundwater: Video (4 min) | Storymap (by DWR)
- SGMA and working together: Video (5 min) (by Self-Help Enterprises)
- SGMA 101: SGMA Brochure (by CFBF) | Intro to the New Groundwater Law video (11 min) | Local Management under SGMA video (9 min)
- Comprehensive Groundwater Resources Hub: Groundwater Exchange website (GroundwaterExchange.org)
- Videos en español: Videos (by Self-Help Enterprises)
SGMA in the Cosumnes Subbasin
Under California law, the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) requires the Cosumnes Subbasin to form a groundwater sustainability agency or agencies (GSAs) by June 30, 2017, and to have a groundwater sustainability plan (GSP) in place by 2022.
The following seven agencies filed with the state to form a GSA within the Cosumnes Subbasin:
- Omochumne-Hartnell Water District (website)
- Sloughhouse Resource Conservation District (website)
- Galt Irrigation District (website)
- Clay Water District (website)
- City of Galt (website)
- Amador County Groundwater Management Authority (website)
- Sacramento County (website)
These GSAs are now engaged in a collaborative group, called the Cosumnes Subbasin SGMA Working Group, to discuss developing a roadmap for creating a groundwater sustainability plan.
Note: Elk Grove is in the South American Subbasin — not the Cosumnes Subbasin — and Sacramento Central Groundwater Authority (SCGA) is your local groundwater sustainability agency. For more information about SGMA in the South American Subbasin, visit the SCGA website at www.scgah2o.org.
Stakeholder Outreach + Engagement
The Working Group developed a plan to work closely with affected stakeholders including agriculture, environmental interests, rural residential well owners, tribal interests, and others. The GSAs recognize the importance of engaging stakeholders and the broader public in discussions related to groundwater sustainability plan development and implementation and commit to leading a transparent and inclusive process to foster the consideration of the beneficial uses and users of groundwater in the basin. View the Outreach and Public Engagement Plan (2019 Version) (Summer 2021 Draft Update)
Cosumnes Subbasin Resources
Click on the images below to view/download materials
- Cosumnes Subbasin
- Draft GSP The Brochure Read Summary (Sep 2021 Web | Print)
- Draft GSP The Rapid Read Summary (Sep 2021)
- Draft GSP How to Comment Handout (Aug 2021)
- Implementation & Funding Factsheet (June 2021)
- Projects Factsheet (March 2021)
- Well Owner Factsheet (March 2021)
- Groundwater Conditions (July 2020)
- SGMA in Cosumnes Factsheets: March 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018
- Cosumnes Subbasin Stakeholder Survey + Landowner Data Request Form
- Union of Concerned Scientists guide to Getting Involved In Groundwater: A Guide to California’s Groundwater Sustainability Plans [English] | Participe en el manejo de su cuenca: Guía para entender los planes de sustentabilidad de aguas subterráneas de California [Espanol]
- View current Groundwater Sustainability Agencies at DWR’s portal.
- DWR’s Stakeholder Communication & Engagement guidance document
- DWR’s GSP Regulations Guide
- SWRCB Groundwater Management Page
- USGS Sustainable Groundwater Management Resources
- For GSAs: Outreach Tracker